Voting is now open for the official 2017 UC Master Gardener Photo Contest!
Following a program wide call for photos, the official 2017 UC Master Gardener photo contest received more than 350 submissions from UC Master Gardeners across that state! Images ranged from beautiful flowers to fascinating creatures in our gardens in five categories.
Narrowing down each category's top five finalist was no easy task. Each categories finalists stood out to the judges because of its interesting subject matter, composition or connection to the program.
Photo finalists selected, now you vote!
Cast your vote by ranking the finalists in order from 1-5 (1 being your favorite). Online voting will close on July 31, 2017. Now it's your turn to help decided the winners! (Finalists listed in no particular order.)
California Friendly Gardening:
- "San Juan Capistrano Native Garden,” by Nina Payne, Ostensen Orange County
- “Drought Friendly Succulents,” by Monique Moench, Solano County
- “Quarry Lakes Demonstration Garden,” by Carol Jesse, Alameda County
- “CA Native Plants,” by Corinne Yoshihara, Napa County
- “Gardens Gone Native,” by Kathy Ikeda, San Joaquin County
Creatures in the Garden:
- “Lily and the Swallowtail,” by Tom Furnanz, Calaveras County
- “Ingurgitating Praying Mantid,” by Sharon Leos, Solano County
- “Female Native Longhorn Bee,” by Kimberly Steinmann, Sacramento County
- “Sharp-shinned Hawk Welcoming Visitors,” by Ken Martin, Ventura County
- “Last Meal of the Condemned,” by Bruce Goren, San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
- “Ravishing Radishes,” by Anne McDermott, Orange County
- “Beta vulgaris ‘Incognito',” by Kathy Ikeda, San Joaquin County
- “Winter Veggies,” by Randall Fox, Santa Cruz-Monterey Counties
- “Summer's Bounty,” by Rebecca Schoenenberger, Santa Clara County
- “Golden Raspberries,” by Bruce Goren, San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
UC Master Gardeners in Action:
- “Happy to Help,” by Amina Horikoshi, Sacramento County
- “Water Audit,” by Kathy Ikeda, San Joaquin County
- “Learning about Critters in a Pond,” by Peggy Chipkin Marin County
- “Fresh peas taste great!” by Summer Brasuel, El Dorado County
- “Which one is next?” by Kim Nguyen, Orange County
- “Looking Up,” by Carol Jesse, Alameda County
- “Exploding Milkweed,” by Cindy Elkins, Fresno County
- “Echeveria,” by Jeffrey Blake, San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
- “The splendor of a brilliant carnivorous plant,” by Marta Kravech, Sacramento County
- “Good Morning,” by Meredith French, Gold Badge, San Diego County
Click here to vote: ucanr.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bBoOSl4HlGfrpQ1
View all the photos entries
There is no doubt that UC Master Gardner volunteers have a creative side; be sure to check out all the submissions to official UC Master Gardener photo contest on the contest website. Thank you to all those who took the time to participate and share your amazing and inspiring work! Good luck to our finalists!